Website Hennepin County
Your Future. Made Here.
Hennepin County is seeking a Workplace Safety Specialist to provide workplace safety services to county departments to minimize injuries, prevent losses and maintain a safe, compliant and healthful work environment for employees and residents.
This position is for you if you’re looking for a rewarding career that allows you to use many different skills, collaborate with all levels of the organization while developing and expanding your career.
This position will support the county’s operations line of business including Facility Services, Information Technology, Resident and Real Estate Services and Examiner of Titles. Candidates with experience in construction safety, emergency management, facility management, confined space and lockout/tagout are encouraged to apply.
Location and hours:
This position is located in the Hennepin County Government Center, 300 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55487. Work hours will be flexible Monday through Friday, during standard business hours with the ability to work at off-site locations.
About the position type:
This position is a full-time, benefit earning position.
In this position, you will:
- Conduct safety program audits, ergonomic evaluations, safety campaigns and research on environmental health and safety topics.
- Participate in and/or lead department safety teams/committees, construction meetings, Workplace Safety division committees and team events.
- Support departments as their key point of contact for; compliance investigations by regulatory agencies, workplace safety consultation, employee/department safety and health concerns and safety training.
- Conduct injury and illness investigations, OSHA recordkeeping, injury reduction efforts for high-risk occupations and coordinate the first report of injury process.
- Provide safety support and technical assistance for staff working in the field who provide one-on-one client services.
Need to have:
- One of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in occupational safety, public health, community health, environmental health, occupational medicine, industrial safety, safety engineering or a field closely related to the position and two or more years of experience in either safety, health, investigations, healthcare accreditation or a specialty area related to the position.
- Six or more years of experience in either safety, health, investigations, healthcare accreditation or a specialty area related to the position.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Ability and willingness to travel to multiple locations throughout Hennepin County, some of which may not be accessible by public transportation.
- Ability to lift equipment up to 50 lbs., occasionally bend, squat, and climb ladders, etc. with or without reasonable accommodation.
Nice to have:
- Experience providing direction and assistance on workplace safety issues, lockout/tagout, indoor air quality, emergency procedures and construction safety.
- Knowledge of state and federal laws, regulations, rules, codes, and standards pertaining to workplace safety issues, facility and construction safety.
- Safety related certifications such as: CPR/First Aid/AED instructor, certified safety professional credentials (ASP and CSP), certified industrial hygienist (CIH), certified professional ergonomist (CPE), certified in infection prevention, certified professional in-patient safety (CPPS) or other related certifications.
- Knowledge of the following software/computer programs: Word, Excel, SharePoint, PowerPoint, Outlook, Adobe, Articulate storyline, EPIC or other comparable software/programs.
Consulting, coaching, negotiating and consensus building skills.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to:
- Make recommendations and apply best practices to protect employees and clients.
- Be a team player that can handle multiple projects in a diverse department.
- Create and conduct training presentations.
- Develop online training materials (e-learning).
- Perform evaluations and statistical studies.
- Work independently and in a team environment.
- Problem solve and serve on committee(s).
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.